Tuesday, February 15, 2011

13.1


Let's just start with the truth: I hate running. Period. Full stop. The end, goodbye.

Disclaimer aside, I am about to start a fitness mission that will end with me at an undisclosed finish line of a 2012 half marathon. The girl who loves her sweets, french fries and fruity drinks is trading trading in her couch time after work for a pair of running shoes. Turning 30 has me thinking that I can no longer use the excuse of "college" and life's darker moments to stay as unhealthy as I have been the last half of my twenties. While at a bar this past weekend for my big birthday bash, I was convinced by a sister and a good friend that running could be apart of my life. Maybe it was the vodka cran talking, but the motivation and determination to never go back on a promise to start struck, and thus a deal and a handshake followed...

Growing up, I spent most of my summers in the pool at 6:00am on the weekdays and at meets on Saturday's. I lovingly blame my carb addiction on these years:) But blame no more, it is time to get back in shape and spend my thirties and beyond living life to it's fullest. Why 2012, you may ask? Well, I am all about getting back into shape the right way. If I can make one in 2011, great, but the goal is to do this with the least injury as possible:)

I have great friends who run 1/2 and full marathons, even one that is in training for an upcoming Ironman- each inspiring me to find the courage I've needed. I am eagerly awaiting the moment when my hate turns into love, as it has yet to be seen. I know it must be coming though!

So from here on out I am getting rid of everything toxic, setting goals and saying goodbye to all things junk and alcoholic (well, maybe a glass of Cabernet or two on special occasions- I wouldn't want to go cold turkey on everything- it's all about the moderation, right?!?!). Here I come 13.1...

1 comment:

  1. as instigator for this handshake (which is now technically legal documentation of said verbal contract) i must suggest a few things:

    *don't bring home sweets, if its not there to tempt you, you won't want it after awhile

    *clear liquor has less calories and carbs although the mixers might do you in so keep it low sugar

    *if you have to question on whether skipping the workout or stretching is a good idea or not, its probably not. make good life choices!

    *rome wasn't built in a day so its ok if you're not in the fast lane on your highway to 13.1. remember, you'll get there!

    *you will ALWAYS HAVE MY SUPPORT! don't forget it!

    *speed dial, put me on it. if you ever feel like giving up give me a call. trust me, we've all been there and a good verbal spanking always got my ass back up in the saddle again.

    *just by making this promise to yourself you have given your future the best gift of all and inspiration to others, especially me so know you are MY HERO!

    SAO my wonderful great, great, great...grand neice!

    ReplyDelete