Monday, March 14, 2011

Back Burner.

There isn't anything better than a brisk Northern California morning where my MacBook and a Starbucks Venti Iced Nonfat Skinny Vanilla Chai are in hand. Well except for the fact that I have chosen the smallest Starbucks in the area. Working early mornings has made a habit of early mornings for me on days off as well. So here I am, it's 7:30 on a Monday morning and I was hoping for a cozy seat inside. No such luck. The people inside look like they are bears hunkered in for the long winter. While I feel my big writing plans squished, I can't help but enjoy the beautiful weather and a chance to think while I sit outside, awaiting for one of the hibernating bears to wake up from their long winter naps.

Despite it's small size, there are people double parked everywhere and there is an endless line of complicated to incredibly unique coffee orders piping in and out. Which makes me wonder, is the old adage of the complexity of the coffee order a direct correlation to the level of high maintenance in that person or is it just as simple as being applauded for knowing what we want out of our cup of joe?

From a personal standpoint, I feel that I should be applauded as my coffee order is one thing that never fails me as a decision easily made. November through December - it's a Tall Christmas Blend, hands down. The rest of the year, no matter the temps, it's the Venti Iced Nonfat Skinny Vanilla Chai. Most of my friends and family will tell you that I am rubbish at making decisions- with so many major decisions being sent to live on the back burner.

Eureka, blog pause - I am about to become a bear in winter... Oh, this purple plush velvet chair and the heated air that come along with it are just glorious.


Heading into my 30's has given me more clarity than I could have ever thought. It's like a switch has been turned on and there is a tangible feeling that a new chapter has opened. Maybe I relish in the ease of my coffee decision because everything else in my life was waiting to walk through that next door.

I can't help but think of my grandmother today as she is a day away from being 91. She is my only living grandparent and is vital proof that strength can carry you through life. Taking my health back is turning into a major strength for me- a decision that has needed to be the focus for a longtime now. Running, something I thought I would always hate, has finally become something that I desire. A desire as strong as the pull to the Coach store in the mall or MAC when I walk through Nordstrom's. Now, I can't say that I love it yet – but we are on kinder terms.

I feel like it's too grown-up to talk about financial strength, but that has been a focus too. When I moved back to California, I cashed out my first 401k. I can't regret that, even with the penalties, it kept me on my feet until I was able to support myself. Probably not the best decision in the long run, but not a regret nevertheless. At least I was able to really use it, unlike the Social Security I pay into every week that I will never see... ah, but I digress. Several years down the road now, I have a 401k back in place, all of my original student loans will be paid in full by the end of the year and the one credit card I have allowed myself is paid off monthly.

Going forward, I have to think to myself – what awaiting decision gets to come off the back burner next? For now, I'll settle for a second Iced Nonfat Skinny Vanilla Chai...

No comments:

Post a Comment