Monday, March 14, 2011

If you shoot Macro and you love it, clap your hands! Part One

Thanks to a fun idea, a great knowledge base and fabulous instruction from a fellow photographer and friend, Kim B., myself and a couple other friends are conducting our own Macro class, maybe workshop is a better name. Either way, the Macro discovery process has been an incredible one. I remember getting my first grown-up camera when I was 13, a bulky, base model Canon point and shoot. That camera recorded trips to Hawaii, trips to Sea World, Magic Mountain and Disneyland and in high school a three week trip to Europe that I would have killed to have my zoom lens of today for, a silly covert op at a concert...

Trips and memories saved aside, that camera also introduced me to a little camera icon that looked like a tulip. Being a very girly girl that was obsessed with Sunflowers, I would stand out in our the backyard for hours pushing the little tulip and hoping for something pretty. While there were a few that were pretty and definitely saved, one could also see that I had no clue how to really use that pretty little tulip button. Flash forward to now, photography classes under my belt and the beginning of a small business as a goal- I know that the pretty little tulip icon is more than just a pretty little tulip.

When you search macro photography on google, millions of flowers, bugs and dew drops come up. I could live without seeing most bugs that close up and find dew drop after dew drop a little boring. But I have to admit that they are beautiful shots and while I am looking outside of the box for our workshop, a few dew drops and rainy day snails might make an appearance.

Aside from my normal blogging, my Macro discovery will get to play in the limelight for a fun little series. I'm excited to share my exploration into all things Macro! Now, it's time to start editing and get some ideas and questions ready for the first class held over Italian food at Granito's. The one thing I know for certain is that a night out with these ladies is always a welcomed addition to the week. Maybe dinner will become less of an ordinary part of the meeting spot and more of a subject for the class? We shall wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment